Support for Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)?
SoTL begins with a formal inquiry into your students’ learning or your own teaching practices. Typically, the focus is on one area of teaching and learning via a research methodology that is appropriate for the discipline. Inquiry is followed by the dissemination of results through peer-reviewed presentations or publications so others might be able to modify or replicate good practices for their own classrooms.
Examples of SoTL research conducted by WVU faculty include the following:
- Disegno: A conceptual approach to creativity, building a new study abroad design curriculum
- Examples and the facilitation of student learning: Should instructors provide examples or should students generate their own?
- Empowering teachers to implement innovative content in physical education through continuous professional development
- Using Gagne's 9 events of instruction to enhance student performance and course evaluations in undergraduate nursing courses
Example of other SoTL research topics are as follows:
- Effect of Active Learning Tools in an Introductory Physics Courses
- Teaching Biology Students How to Critically Evaluate Scientific Claims
- 3D Augmented Reality Models in Introductory Anatomy and Physiology
- Promoting Reflective Writing in Math Courses
- Teaching Ethics and Social Responsibility in Business Courses
Why should I engage in SoTL?
There is extensive research on the many benefits of SoTL. Through the study of teaching practices and its impact on student learning, SoTL generates positive outcomes not only for students and instructors but also the institution. The webpages below identify some of the benefits:
- Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching: Why Do SoTL?
- University of Alberta: SoTL - Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
In what areas can I receive support through this service?
Whether you’re interested in embarking on your own SoTL inquiry but need some guidance or you need assistance with work you have already begun, we can help. We have a group of faculty dedicated to assist specifically with SoTL needs.
You can receive support in the following areas:
- Identifying potential areas of inquiry in teaching and learning
- Selecting appropriate literature/framework for your research project
- Determining appropriate methodology to explore the research questions
- Designing your study
- Analyzing and interpreting data
Who is eligible for SoTL support?
Any instructor (full- or part-time, face-to-face, hybrid, online) at any WVU campus can request SoTL support. It is a free service.
What is the first step?
To arrange for SoTL support, simply complete the online form. After you request support, a SoTL support associate will be matched with you based on your needs. You and your associate will meet to discuss your needs, explore options, and determine the best approach that works for you. Please keep in mind that requests will be fulfilled based on available resources.
If you have any questions about the service or process of SoTL Support, please call the TLC at 304-293-5824 or email us at email@example.com.