NEW FACULTY ORIENTATION
August 8-9, 2023
Welcome to WVU
Thank you new faculty for joining us at New Faculty Orientation. We know it is a lot of information to process. Just know we are here to help. Contact the Teaching and Learning Commons with questions or visit our Partners in Success or Helpful Resources webpages to find the information you need.
We wish you the best in your new role at WVU.
Partners in Success
Learn more about the classroom and professional support and services available to you. The following list describes the services and contact information of the helpful units at WVU.
Visit Partners in Success Webpage
List of WVU services and resources that will benefit both new and existing instructors.
SESSION VIDEOS & RESOURCES
- Welcome and Overview of the New Faculty Cohort
- Things I Wish I Had Known My First Year at WVU
- Welcome to WVU Health Sciences Center: Faculty Life at the HSC
- Partners in Success
- Day Two Welcome with Meshea Poore
- President Gordon Gee
- Provost Maryanne Reed
- HSC Chancellor Clay Marsh
- Mark McCoy: Finding Peace and Purpose at WVU
The 2023 New Faculty Orientation was held August 8-9, 2023. The event spanned two days and covered several key topics and resources to help you in your new position at WVU.
Tuesday, August 8th Online via Zoom
Welcome and Q&A
Choose one of the following sessions.
Things I Wish I Had Known My First Year at WVU
This session focuses on new faculty entering WVU, including teaching assistant professors, tenure- track professors, and visiting assistant professors.
Vagner Benedito, Professor, Plant and Soil Sciences
- MJ Ahmad, Teaching Assistant Professor, Management Information Systems
- Jill Descoteaux, Assistant Professor, Human Performance
- Kelli George, Teaching Assistant Professor, Animal and Nutritional Sciences
Welcome to WVU Health Sciences Center: Faculty Life at the HSC
This session provides an overview of the organizational relationships and life at the Health Sciences Center for new faculty, including those at the Charleston and Eastern Division campuses.
- Clay Marsh, MD, Vice President and Executive Dean for Health Sciences
- Louise Veselicky, DDS, MDS, MEd Associate Vice President for Health Sciences Center Academic Affairs
Overview of the New Faculty Cohort
Learn about the opportunities scheduled throughout the academic year to connect you with people and resources that are here to support you and help you succeed.
Partners in Success
Talk with representatives from the following units to help with your onboarding
Benefits | Payroll | Information Technology Services | Mental Health
End of NFO - Day 1
Stop by the main zoom room to talk or ask questions.
Thank you for participating. See you tomorrow!
Wednesday, August 9th ONLINE VIA ZOOM
- Tracey Beckley, Assistant Provost for Teaching and Learning
- Meshea Poore, Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Chancellor and Executive Dean, West Virginia University Health Sciences
Senior Advisor to President Gee